What are some of the things that first come to mind when you imagine a superb sleep experience? Perhaps you envision pillows with perfectly balanced softness and firmness, the fan you leave on throughout the night for white noise, or your pet that sneaks into bed with you as soon as the lights turn off.
For me, a moment comes to mind from years ago. I had slept over at a friend’s place, and I immediately noticed how soft and luxurious their sheets felt. I asked what they were and they seemed shocked that I had asked such a thing – reveal their secret? Never! – but then dished to me that they were bamboo sheets. That night, I had possibly the best sleep of my life. It was truly as if I had been transported to another dimension where my sense of comfort and relaxation was completely renewed and had reached a different caliber. It was that good.
The next day, I went to the nearest retailer and bought a full bamboo bed sheet set, which I still use to this day.
At a certain point in our lives, whether it be the moment we graduate from college or when we begin sharing a bed with a significant other, we realize the importance of high quality bedding. I’m not just referring to a quality comforter; your sleep haven should be complete with a fitted sheet, a flat sheet, pillowcases, duvets, and shams. Sooner rather than later, that twin-sized sheet set you bought for your college dorm room is no longer going to cut it , and you’ll want something that will provide you with the exceptional comfort you deserve.
Bamboo sheets are the epitome of lavish comfort. When you walk into your room at a cute boutique hotel in Santorini, the bed will likely have bamboo sheets waiting for you to wrap yourself in. In comparison to other linens like cotton or polyester, bamboo has a plethora of benefits that make them the perfect sheets for luxury rest and relaxation.
5 Benefits of Bamboo Fabric
1. Softness: When we say bamboo is one of the softest materials out there, we mean it. Its smooth and round structure is the perfect formula for cloud-like softness, imitating the feeling of the finest silk. Its texture is also smooth without being slippery and feels great on your body, leaving your skin and hair in a rejuvenated state. You’re guaranteed total, blissful comfort with bamboo, whereas some cotton linens can feel rough like canvas.
2. Cooling: Bamboo is a naturally cooling and breathable fabric due to the microgaps in its structure. This means that you won’t have to worry about overheating, and in turn, sweating in your sleep. Sheets made of other materials like cotton or polyester do not have the same cooling properties and can cause discomfort and interrupted sleep, especially during the warmer months.
3. Eco-friendly and Sustainable: Bamboo is also an incredibly sustainable material. Unlike cotton, which is one of the most chemically intensive crops in the world, bamboo is pest-resistant and thus does not require use of pesticides. It’s a naturally-occurring and rapidly renewable resource, producing more fiber per acre than cotton. If these facts weren’t enough to sell you, harvesting bamboo requires less work than other materials, as it regenerates on its own and does not need to be replanted annually.
4. Allergy-friendly: One of the biggest downsides to cotton is its unfortunate ability to activate allergies and respiratory illnesses. Bamboo is hypo-allergenic, making it a perfect alternative for individuals with allergy sensitivities.
5. Durable: If you’re looking for sheets that will last you years, you’ve come to the right place. Due to the long, stretched out fibers in bamboo fabrics, they are less prone to pilling, tearing, and staining, whereas shorter fibers are weaker and can have quality issues. Additionally, bamboo’s non absorbent surface will keep any body oils from staining or discoloring your sheets. (We still don’t recommend going to bed in a full face of makeup or with a glass of red wine, though).
The Perfect Summertime Bed Sheets
For all the reasons mentioned above, bamboo makes the ideal bed sheets as you transition into summer. For some people, one of the biggest barriers to getting a comfortable night’s sleep is overheating. Without blasting your A/C and turning on every fan in your room, they’ll keep you cool throughout the night with its moisture-wicking properties and lightweight feel.
It also helps to pair your sheets with other naturally-cooling bedding necessities, such as bamboo-lined pillows mattresses. Some pillows like the Snuggle-Pedic body pillow, with its patented Kool-Flow technology, pair perfectly with bamboo sheets to provide you a cooler night’s sleep.
When We Sleep Better, We Live Better
Given that we spend one-third of our lives sleeping, it's incredibly important to pay attention to how we're sleeping. Quality, restorative sleep is essential in order to properly function and maintain our sanity. There's nothing better than the sweet feeling of laying your head on a perfectly fluffed pillow and wrapping your body in a sea of softness. It's a moment of incomparable bliss—especially if it’s your only peace throughout the day (we’re looking at you, parents)
Don’t settle for anything less than what you deserve when it comes to sleep. Buy that fancy orthopedic pillow, leave your oil diffuser on throughout the night, and grab a bamboo sheet set from Hotel Sheets Direct to complete your dreamy sleep experience.
Contributing Writer: Evan Neuhoff