A good night's sleep is one of the best things you can give yourself. Getting a recommended 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night is beneficial to your health, and being well-rested can help get you ready and focused for another day. Unfortunately, there are more obstacles to healthy sleep than you might expect. If you notice that you wake up sneezing or feeling congested, allergens in your sheets might be to blame.
There is a simple solution to help fight against allergens in your bedding, though. Hypoallergenic sheets can prevent conditions that lead to sleep-interrupting sneezes, and they can offer comfort to make your sleep more pleasant overall. There is a lot to consider when buying hypoallergenic sheets, so consider these tips when shopping.
Why Choose Hypoallergenic Sheets?
Before getting into the specific types of sheets available, it is important to consider what factors cause allergic reactions in bedding. Non-hypoallergenic sheets can be breeding grounds for dust mites and mold. Dust mites are microscopic pests that can live in your bedding and eat dead skin cells. Allergic reactions to dust mites are common and can cause sneezing, coughing, runny nose, and itchy or sore throat.
Hypoallergenic sheets are made to prevent conditions that dust mites and other allergens thrive in. They use materials that are breathable and that prevent retaining moisture, which can lead to allergen growth.
Watch the Thread Count and Breathability
The thread count of a sheet is the number of threads in a square inch of material. Breathability is a related factor, as sheets that are more breathable prevent the buildup of moisture, which can lead to allergen growth. Sheets with higher thread counts are softer, but what that means for a sheet's ability to prevent allergens depends on the type of material.
Bamboo sheets are naturally more breathable than other materials used in sheets. This can make them particularly helpful in providing an allergen-free sleep.
Pay Attention to the Material Used
While the thread count is important, other factors make different materials of hypoallergenic sheets more or less effective. Each material comes with pros and cons. Some popular hypoallergenic sheet materials include:
- Silk: Sheets made with silk are soft and resistant to dust mites and other types of germs and allergens. Silk comes from silkworms, and this material is meant to serve as a cocoon for the bugs. Because of this, it is meant to protect whoever is behind the silk. However, despite the upsides of silk, it has fairly negative downsides too. Out of the materials used for hypoallergenic sheets, silk is generally the most expensive. Additionally, silk sheets require special care and can often not be washed in even the gentlest machine cycles.
- Wool: This natural material wicks away moisture, which makes it resistant to mold and bacteria growth. Wool is heavier than other sheet materials, which makes wool sheets warmer. This can be a positive in cold weather conditions or a negative if the weather is warmer. For some people, wool may cause skin irritation. Another negative to it is that much like silk, wool sheets typically cannot be washed in machines.
- Cotton: One of the most common materials used in bedding, cotton can be quite hypoallergenic depending on the thread count. Unlike some other materials listed here, cotton can also be washed easier. However, cotton sheets are very different from one another. The quality of cotton sheets can vary widely, and cotton sheets with lower thread counts or other issues may be less effective at preventing allergens.
- Latex: Bedding made with latex can be comfortable and can prevent moisture. This means that dust mites, fungi, and other allergens are kept away from latex bedding. However, some people may have allergic reactions to latex that cause skin irritation and other symptoms. Latex is also generally not machine washable, and it is not considered to be the most comfortable material.
- Synthetic materials: Most hypoallergenic sheets come from natural materials, but there are sheets made with synthetics that are designed to prevent mildew and other allergens. Synthetic sheets can be soft and can be some of the least expensive materials on this list. However, synthetic sheets often struggle with breathability, and some people may have allergic reactions to them.
Consider the Benefits of Bamboo Sheets
Bamboo sheets have become more popular in recent years, and for good reason. They offer exceptional comfort, even compared with materials like silk that are renowned for being soft. When considering the hypoallergenic functions of bamboo sheets, some of their benefits include:
- Highly breathable: Bamboo sheets are some of the most breathable sheets available. Being more breathable is an important factor in bedding being hypoallergenic. Being breathable also means that bamboo sheets are cooler, which means that sweat during sleep is less likely.
- Effectively wicks away moisture: Preventing a buildup of moisture is a crucial step in preventing allergens. Because molds and mildews thrive in moist environments, sheets that wick away moisture are less likely to be breeding grounds for allergens.
- Durable: The durability of bamboo sheets is another factor that sets them apart from other materials. Bamboo fiber is tear-resistant, which means that you can use bamboo sheets for years after purchasing them.
- Sustainable production: One final benefit to bamboo sheets is that in addition to being breathable, comfortable, and long-lasting, bamboo is sustainably produced. Bamboo sheets provide natural comfort with the environment in mind.
See How Hypoallergenic Sheets Can Improve Your Sleep
There is a lot to consider when purchasing hypoallergenic sheets. Plenty of materials used for sheets prevent moisture and encourage breathability. However, many types of sheets can also be difficult to wash and may not be long-lasting.Bamboo solves a lot of these problems with a focus on breathability and durability. A set of bamboo sheets can be remarkably long-lasting and comfortable too. At Hotel Sheets Direct, we strive to produce only the most comfortable bamboo bedding that would be fitting in any top-rated hotel. Our bamboo sheet set is renowned for being ultra-soft and for having breathability and coolness that makes every night feel like a luxury getaway.